|If you are an employment law practitioner, and you haven't heard by now, let me assist:|
The verdict: Employment Tribunals fees are unlawful and will be quashed.
Shouts of jubilation are no doubt being heard in Unison HQ (along with the rest of the employment world) as the introduction of Tribunals fees (which led to a 70% reduction in claims) is found unlawful.The Supreme Court, in allowing Unison's appeal noted the following:
What is the next move? What will happen next?
It is unlikely that the fees regime will be abolished in its entirety, and the government may consider a lesser fee for tribunal claims.
How the Employment Tribunal is going to immediately deal with claims coming in from today is unknown. But if you thought they were slow before...
The Supreme Court did say that all fees paid between 2013 and now will have to be refunded by the Lord Chancellor's Department, although how this will be implemented and carried out is yet to be seen.
Spare a thought for those who were unable to bring a claim due to not being able to afford the tribunal fees. Being out of work and having to fund a claim against your employer is not a circumstance everyone is prepared for. Whether there will be an extension of time granted in such scenarios (or that will be proved or even decided, I know not) or whether there is nothing that can be done remains a mystery.
Well done to the UNISON team!
- Whilst working with Hedges Law, I felt considered and informed throughout. I believe that this personal service and strategy in recruiting the brightest but most engaging people is the firm's greatest strength.
- I've been engaging the services of Hedges Law for around six months. During that time, without exception, every member of staff I've worked with is A-Class.
- Hedges' client-first approach is admirable, and the promptness and dedication to the work that they do is unmatchable. I couldn't have asked for a better law firm.
- Thank you so much : you have been unfailingly brilliant in the face of some pretty stiff 'opposition'!
- My relief and endless gratitude to you for your hard work and sympathetic handling of my distress.
- I would like to say out loud that we were very impressed with the service you provided. Your attention has been second to none. Thank you.
- Working with Hedges has been a breath of fresh air in terms of helpfulness, efficiency and overall, extensive knowledge of the law.
- I will always be grateful to you and your firm for all the amazing support and advice. The way you rallied around us at such short notice on that day too was exceptional.
- Hedges Law really acted in our best interest, maintaining excellent performance under time pressure. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly yet with amazing efficiency.